Monday, July 10, 2006

Chocolate chip Zucchini cake

The recipe is actually adapted from the Chocolate Zucchini cake recipe on epicurious. I wanted it to be more of a spice cake with chocolate chips and zucchini. Here's my variation:

2 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c. sugar (maybe a little less)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c. buttermilk (but I didn't have buttermilk so I just used a little less than half a cup of regular milk and filled up the rest with plain yogurt and lemon juice and mixed it all together)
2 1/2 c (or even more) of grated zucchini
spices--cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger
1 1/2 c. of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (I used bittersweet)

Preheat oven to 325. Butter and flour 13x9x2 inch baking pan (I ended up using a 9x9 square and then a 6 inche round). mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices (I eyeball it until it looks and smells the right amount of spice for a spice cake; maybe a 2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 or 3/4 tsp of cloves and ginger?). Beat sugar, butter and oil in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Mix in dry ingredients alternately wiht the milk mixture in 3 additions each. Mix in grated zucchini. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester is clean, about 50 minutes.

I put cream cheese frosting on top, which was 1 8oz pkg of cream cheese, 1 stick of butter and confectionary sugar (I didn't really measure; just put a cup in and then added more until the consistency looked ok). Mix it all together and then put in the freezer so it firms up a little bit (that way, you can use less sugar).

df and I discovered that the cake tastes pretty good freshly baked when it's all moist but even better after a night in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

planbreaker said...

and yes, I know it's crazy that I used the first zucchini in a cake but we also grilled half of it.