Friday, June 17, 2005

Speaking of progress...

I just ate a delicious salad from our beautiful garden. Planbreaker and I spent the morning laying straw, and, in the process, we discovered baby tomatoes, baby peppers, and plenty of flowering plants. All the work that you people did while I was out of town has completely paid off! So, in this moment of optimism, I thought it might be a good time to take a look at just how far our little garden has come.

Remember a few weeks ago when we had no idea where the weeds ended and the plants began?



Well, compare that sad hodgepodge of greenery to our new "super-rows":



And how 'bout that mystery row? What were those plants anyway?




That's right...They're beautiful bean plants! (OK, so we still have a little weeding to do, but come on, they still look pretty good).

And look at this panoramic shot of tfoster watering in late May. One false step and a whole row could be wiped out:




Just a few weeks later, and look at the difference. I dare tfoster to try to crush these hearty plants:



And these were our peas just a few short weeks ago:



Now, they've grown so fast you can hardly recognize them:



All in all, it's been a good few weeks for the garden. Seriously, two different people commented on how good our garden looks today when planbreaker & I were out there. Yay garden!

5 comments:

planbreaker said...

Yay, garden! is right. The beets look like they could be done too. How about a celebratory dinner at the wheaton house on Monday night. The menu: beets (any ideas on how to make it?), beet greens, green salad... I'll pitch in some salmon to throw on the grill or in a pan. How about it?

Jenny said...

I'm there. I can bring a tofu equivalent to salmon (is there one really? probably not) for myself

TFGreen said...

I will get greens and a beet from our garden and make a warm beet salad. I can cook the beet greens with garlic as well.

hungrygirl said...

Sounds good to me. I can make the green salad if no one else is.

planbreaker said...

everythinig sounds good...shall we say 7? people can cook here if they want to. i'm thinking about strawberry shortcake for dessert (sorry to those who have already had it before...). also, can people bring "adult beverages" (to paraphrase doug)? we have two sad buds in the refrigerator and that's it.